Animated overbridge

Recently someone build an overbridge on the route which I'm currently working on. Well, quite shame about pace of my developing... However, I've found couple of good textures and created an expressway bridge with (more or less) fictitious dimensions.






Ok, good to have bridge. But come on, this is an express way, we need some traffic there. Four lanes, two directions so...at least 4 vehicles I think. I was looking for some good quality (and free) 3D car models in the web, and actually succeed. But...



30k vertices and 60k faces...Created using photogrammetry

OpenBVE engine is quite archaic. It was intended for simple oparations on old graphic cards and low-poly models. Combining converted to BVE format very complex 3D models with thousands of polygons, together with BVE .animated file syntax, lowered game FPS significantly. It is still playable even on my old laptop, but the question is - is it worth it? No, I don't think so. I'm gonna use freebies which should be enough for my project. We need to rotate car object to match the road so I added RotateAll function at the end of .b3d file. Now let's animate it:

[Object]
States = ../../Vehicles/artic1/artic1.b3d
Position = -225,9.1,5.7
TranslateXFunction = if[trackDistance<=250 & trackdistance[-1]>(-25), mod[26 * time, 450], 2]


Car is going from left to right, starting position at -225 and finishing at 225, so 450 meters overall. Notice that 26 value refers to car speed, and is expressed in meters per second. That gives us around 93.5 kph (58 mph). If the car would go opposite direction (right->left) we would use -26 value. Of course I used different speed for each car. And the result:


And basically that's all. Simple models, day textures only (for now). But I still think that photogrammetry is future, for OpenBVE too. I'm not an expert in 3D modelling, but I'm sure there is some way to reduce the amount of polygons without losing much quality. Until next time!